In this unit, we will look into the non-specific human and non-human object prefix te- and tla-
Te– is the non specific human object prefix that refers to people and tla– is the non specific non human object prefix, it usually refers to different things: animals, plants, and inanimate things. At times, tla– can refer to people.
Xiquittacan tlamanextilli ica te – // Let’s look at some examples with te-
- Maria mitztlamaca. / Maria feeds you.
- Maria tetlamaca. / Maria feeds someone.
- Notatah quipalehuia Tomás. / My dad helps Tomás.
- Notatah tepalehuia. / My dad helps people.
- Juan quicahcayahqui nopipi. / Juan lied to my sister.
- Juan tecahcayahqui. / Juan lied to someone.
Xiquitta tlamanextilli ica tla- // Let’s look at some examples with tla-
- Nonanan tlachicuenia chihchicueyi. / My mom washes clothes every eight days.
- Totahtzin tlanamictia Chicontepec. / The priest marries in Chicontepec.
- Felipe quiamati tlaoniz. / Felipe likes to drink alcohol.
- Nochichi quiamati tlapehuaz. / My dog likes to hunt.
- Ne cahuayoh tlahuel etic itlamamal. / That horse’s load is heavy.
Xicchihua cequin tlamanextilli ica tlahtolli tlen ticmati. / Create some examples using the verbs that you know.